Vermont Harvest Folk Art by Doreen Frost
~Fine Needlework, Written Publications & Finished Goodes.~

Tucked in a valley, at the foot of Round Mountain, among the graceful Maples & Oaks you will find our Little Brown House. Smoke billows from the chimney seven or eight months out of the year, a river rambles nearby, sheep & cows graze in the meadows and turkey's forage along the olde stone walls.

"I myself am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions" ~ Augusten Burroughs.

"People aren't longing to be impressed; they're longing to feel like they're home. If you create a space full of love and character and creativity and soul, they'll take off their shoes and curl up with gratitude and rest, no matter how small, no matter how undone, no matter how odd." Shauna Niequist.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

~The APRIL Issue of The Little Brown House Gazette~


Greetings one and all & a very merry April 1st to you.  I hope, with all of my heart, this little note finds you well & doing what you can to endure this trying time.  Currently, here in Vermont, the sun is shining, the air is warming, the Robins are singing, and a soft breeze brushes past my window.  At the moment the fattest Robin I have ever seen is hopping through the front yard....goodness, apparently her larder was full this winter!!!  

*THE APRIL ISSUE OF THE LITTLE BROWN HOUSE GAZETTE.**   This issue was a serious challenge & a joy all at once......  Exactly like the state of our world right now!!  Because of our stay at home orders, I was forced to redo & resize the entire issue & print it, here at home.   It was a challenge, to be sure, but a challenge I am grateful to have had because now, I know it's possible!  But my goodness, it was exhausting.   :~). 

The challenge and joy of it, really resonated with me.  After all, with
 everything that we do, and everything that happens to us, there are lessons to be learned, things to take from it, memories to be made and yes, even joy to be found, amidst the struggles and heartache.   For me, though our life is a slow and mellow one already...it has become slower still.   Some of it is good, some of it is challenging...Mark & I have time to sit together in the early evening with a cocktail or cup of coffee, chat about our day (and the state of the world) and cook dinner together.   Mark's 12 to 14 hour days are now 8 hour days. Yes, his paycheck will be smaller but, we have savings and we will be okay.  We will spend more carefully..... and, Mark will be able to have some much needed rest.  The kids are healthy and either working from home, off with pay or, still working at jobs that are taking very good care of them.  Our little man (1st grandson Kurt Evan) is getting lots of extra time with his Daddy who is now home.  We miss our children and grandson tremendously but we are doing what we must to stay healthy, and help to slow this out of control train, down before it wrecks.... in our neighborhood!!! 
Yes...cocktails help!!! :)

We are thankful for Video chatting, text and calls And..for all of us, out here in our internet neighborhoods and communities..... we have blogs and Facebook and community groups that keep us all linked to one another. :)  We are finding the good within the bad...
 I hope you all can find a little something goode to take from this difficult time.

 I  wanted to mention that.   I've lowered the cost of my Stitchery Guild (community of stitchers) to 1/2 price ($5.00 a month).  It is a lovely place filled with friendship, stitching, hooking, punching and whatnot. We are currently preparing to do a group wool applique project, together.

 If you would like to join us (it's free once you join the community), email me at Doreen@vermontharvestfolkart.com 
and I will send you an invitation.    **ps..you may create the group project any way you wish ~ you do not have to work in wool applique.**


One last thing before I go.... I saw this on facebook and thought..my goodness..how true is this...

~for me....I think it will be a mixture of both :)... lol.

~Maple Martini Recipe~
..show in my photo above.

2 Jiggers of Vodka (we like Tito's but any good vodka will work)
1 Jigger of pure Maple Syrup
good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. *I cut a thick slice of lemon & squeeze it all in.

Fill your shaker with ice and pour the vodka,  slowly over the ice.  Add the maple syrup and lemon juice, to the vodka and shake your little heart out (shake it for at least 60 second so it's really COLD).  Pour into a martini glass, add a bit of lemon peel and ENJOY!

Be well my friends ~ Doreen

5 comments:

  1. It a wonderful community Doreen and it’s so refreshing to be in a community of good friends❣️ No negative posts or political rants just a really nice place to be. You keep me company every day and I wake each morning looking forward to your posts! Thank you❣️❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Judy ~ you are SO sweet!!! Thank you so much my friend. I enjoy starting my day with all of you as well :). Hugs, D

      Delete
  2. Hi there cutie you!! Isn't it amazing what we find we can learn when we just have to --crazy times but always helpful to look on the bright side! You're a gem Doreen... and even though I have a hard time keeping up with everyone & everything because of what I juggle here... it's surely refreshing to read your newsletters when I can! You, Mark and your sweet family take care, be well. And I can't wait to try that Maple Martini, maybe with a batch of fresh baked Ginger cookies!♥ ~Woolly Hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolly Hugs from me (Diane Daniels) that is! :)

      Delete
    2. Hello Diane. It is so very lovely to hear from you. Thank you so very much!!! I hope you and your are doing okay during this challenging time. Be well my friend, Doreen

      Delete