Vermont Harvest Folk Art by Doreen Frost
~Fine Needlework, Written Publications & Finished Goodes.~

Tucked in a valley, at the foot of Round Mountain, among the graceful Maples & Oaks you will find our Little Brown House. Smoke billows from the chimney seven or eight months out of the year, a river rambles nearby, sheep & cows graze in the meadows and turkey's forage along the olde stone walls.

"I myself am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions" ~ Augusten Burroughs.

"People aren't longing to be impressed; they're longing to feel like they're home. If you create a space full of love and character and creativity and soul, they'll take off their shoes and curl up with gratitude and rest, no matter how small, no matter how undone, no matter how odd." Shauna Niequist.

Thursday, January 11, 2024

~Home Again ` Home Again ~ Jiggety Jig~

 

Hello again my friends and welcome back to my original blog which I started back in...oh my heavens, 2012...  This is where I should have stayed, rather than flittering off to other "lands" only to find they did not suit me.  This is so much more personal...easily worked and maintained and best of all, easily personalized for a look and feel that is all ...ME.  

As I go forward, I am not going to commit to being here at any given time ~ I will just pop in and post when I have something to say. The brief time "off" I have taken, over Christmas and New Years .... a bit of WINTERING if you will....has taught me an important lesson.  I need quiet!  In an age where we are constantly told to be ON, I need to turn myself OFF...or should I say away (as often as my work allows).  Away from schedules, daily to-do's...posting here, posting there, oh, and don't forget here.....  Keeping yourself in the public eye is A LOT OF WORK....finding the right photo, coming up with something to say....it all takes away from the process of actually creating.  You reach a point when keeping yourself ion everyone's radar becomes a full-time job and your window for quiet contemplation to come up with new ideas becomes smaller and smaller.  I need the day to day routine of tidying my house, while classical music plays, baking bread.... the kneading, stretching and folding so meditative that this is where my ideas form, my sketchbook and a cup of coffee in the afternoons, hearing the fire snap and pop, and stitching in the evenings.   I shall become a bit smaller in this online world ~ simply posting, updating, etc. etc.....when I truly have something to share.  

AT HOME TODAY ~ we have lovely sunshine and a mild 33* with a few snow showers on the way.  The last few days have been bizarre weather-wise, with 6" of snow falling on Sunday and then high winds and rain taking over Tuesday evening, stealing away most of our snow.  The winds were so bad in the wee hours Tuesday, neither Mark nor I slept.  They were bashing against the house with crazy force, coming from all directions (which was truly unsettling).  When the sun rose everything on the front porch was bashed about, chairs were on the ground, everything soaked through with rain, blankets, chair cushions and pine boughs littered the front lawn along with countless branches and a few limbs.  In our woods there are a couple tree's down and throughout our little village, many trees fell... power was out for thousands.  Oddly, our power remained on.  Quite unexpected as we have lost our power in far calmer storms.  We have another storm, of the same rain and wind, moving in Friday night into Saturday.... :(   Over the past several days, while this crazy weather bashed about, I have been busy baking and cooking.... Hamburger Soup, Peanut Butter Fudge (I should not make that again as I ate FAR too much of it), Baked Chicken, Sweet Potatoe Casserole and Cheddar Biscuits and last night, Chicken and Dumplings .... AS WELL AS, sketching, writing and stitching.  

I HAVE FINALLY begun the stitching on the project I will be teaching at the Big Blue House Spring Retreat in Tennessee.  CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.  I am afraid I cannot share details or sneak peeks of this project.



Okay ~ I must be off.  I've a fire to tend and stitching to do.  Enjoy the day friends.  See you soon.  Doreen

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are home again! Some decisions are hard but necessary. Anything that dampens our creative spirits should be dealt with! I hope you have a wonderous New Year! Thank you for sharing your sweet talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Carlie. That is so very true!! Sometimes it takes a while to see what is fogging up the glass but eventually, we do :). hugs, Doreen

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well hello Dayle ~ thank you my friend. hugs, Doreen

      Delete